Tin Man Giraffe

So, at last I have a week to build a Giraffe, You know one of these.

aa

Yes it is a stock image just taken from the net , and I thank whomever for posting it.

The reason for this one is that it can be broken down into sections so when built from corrugated Iron I can get a 3D effect from flat planes of Corro.

It will be about 4m tall, but I have put form into the head as it will lay at about 69 degree’s to the rest of the body.

So 2 sheets of Iron at 3.8m from the salvage yard

IMG_2841

Take a copy of the Photo from the web and print, I then worked out 4m from head to feet and drew a line across the print at those 1m points.

This was the only lines drawn I just free handed the body from there .

IMG_2843

If you look there are 5 sections needed to build Her.

the first layer is neck, then the right side, followed by the left rear leg, then the last leg on the right at the rear and then the head this was made wider so the bending will allow for it to gain the full shape.

IMG_2842

I have a nibbler that fits on a drill so cut out was easy compared to tin snips.

next photo is both front legs cut out and crossed as per finished.

Belive it or not the neck L Leg is in this photo 3.8m long. (just looks short in photo)

IMG_2844

when it was all cut out it was all given a 2 coat of primer undercoat.

prim 1

Prim 2

Prim 3

Prime Head

With a bit of black added to the head after shaping (yep that’s a tongue)

Now the pallet is restricted

Paint pallet

all house paint and UV stuff and the owner wants to clear coat later.

So that was yesterday and today and it needs to go up in place in a tree on Saturday.

wish me luck !.

I will post the rest of the build as it happens over the next 3 days.

Thursday 25th Sept

cut myself 4.250m of 25 x25 2mm wall square tube.

1  4.250m 1a bend to fit front leg

then using the neck left leg/neck section made up an angle and went looking for 2 close together trees to bend it..

Lucy (dog) just checking)

Then I lay the fore section over the axis spar and fixed it with self drilling hex head screws

turned it over and fixed the other sections to the back in there order front to rear, added a x member and fixed the rear sections to it so as to give a small amount of depth but not too big as to give a disjointed look to the finished beast.

1b  turn over fix 1c  turn back and fix other sections 1f  self drill fixers 1d  add x member

Then primed all the fixers and heat bended the top section of the spar to hold the head and this also sealed the tube from weather entering at the top.

1h  top of axis bent down to hold head (now weather proof)

Then late today out came a 4 inch brush and the pallet of house paint and did some hard and fast wet on wet painting in a rough vein of the photo.

1i base painting full wet mix

Tomorrow I will stand it up at the front of the shed and see how it looks and get out the ladder and fix any bad paint work.

SO OK

Friday he got a Bit of a trim and some more colour  paint, then He got to stand up for the first time so against my shed ( 9m x 6m) he is 4meters tall!!

at 15m12 next 2 shed Far

at 5m12 next 2 shed closeup

Now he looked a bit bright so a bit more colour and then this morning

Saturday 27th September

he went down to my back yard to see him in morning light

(there is a reason)

12 down the back

Facing South East at 9.30am …dappled shade

The light gives him a better 3D look.

He will sit facing North West with the same sort of light in the afternoon.

so on to the ute and off home, His place in life was worked out so that

From the drive way

home driveLook in the middle

From the Lounge room over the deck

pergola

From the Kitchen

home kitchen

From the master bedroom

home bed

and the little deck

from deck

and at last in place facing North West

and from all accounts he glowed redder in today’s sunset.

OH and His name..Morris…

ah call him Morris

Sorry, but photos don’t do him Justice.

“That’s all Folk’s”

(pinterest-fa9fb.html)

pinterest-fa9fb.html

Wire Sculpture, Steampunk Nemo’s night light

Another bit of junk in my shed was an old style Ship light and I wanted to build something Steampunk out of it but the shape was not going to fit anything that I could think of ……….but then, What if ?

Long before Captain Nemo was a Captain he was a Deckhand lived in a little cottage and on the front of that cottage he had a night light and a bird cage.

So out with an old door and take out the center section give it a bit of a sand stick on the light, a bracket to hold a rusty wire bird cage that took quite a while to build and it sure did need some stuff, so using the same old rusty wire that the cage had been made from I made a wire basket and a vine that clawed its way up over the light and also helped hold the bracket up.

I have wired the light up as a plugin but it could be used as a light that is wired into the house without much worry.

The cage still looked a bit empty so I added a small copper wire Baby Bird with a Pine beak, his legs are built with some copper wire that was treated to go blue/green over a year ago.

It is all built so that the cage is just hung as this would make it easy to move.IMG_1135_tnwithout the cageIMG_1137_tnThe Cage an BBIMG_1138_tnBB or Baby Birdput it all together and we have IMG_1139_tn

It stands about 4ft tall at a guess if not 4ft6in, to late at night to go and measure so even the metric you have to work out yourself….don’t worry I will edit this post with the correct size up and across.